Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thank God...

So never a dull moment here, that's for sure. It would just be too much to ask for to not have some kind of drama.
So picture this: it's a nice sunny evening. We are all outside playing and running around. Chris had gotten home at a fairly decent time so he was able to spend some time with the kids. Adrianna gets tired of playing and says she is hot and wants to go inside. About 10 min. later I go inside to get her to play with a friend and she is GONE! I looked all over the house thinking that maybe she was just hiding, she does that sometimes just to be able to jump out and scream boo. Nothing in the house. We go outside to look at friends' houses around us. There aren't many children on our street so it didn't take long to realize that she wasn't there either. I am asking everyone I see if they had seen her. Everyone that I asked then came out to help us look for her. Before I know it, it has been 45 min, and Chris and I, along with about 10 neighbors, have looked all over our neighborhood, down all the streets, out to the park by our house and in every backyard. Adrianna is no where to be found. By this time Chris and I were pretty frantic. I came home and called the police. They were here in about 3 minutes. I filled out paperwork for them while they went and looked with everyone else who was out looking. After about and hour and a half of looking we finally found her down a dirt road where construction is going on in a huge hole that has been dug out, about a mile or just over that from our house. She has never wandered away any further than a couple of houses down so I was shocked that she went so far away. He explanation for doing it was "I just needed to get away for a while." What!? Get away, she is freaking 8 years old, she doesn't need to get away and further than her bedroom. We let her know how worried she had us, and that all of our wonderful neighbors took time out of their evening to look for her as well because they were all worried. I tried to tell her all of the bad things that could have happened to her when she was away. She was at first a little amused that everyone was out looking for her. I think she understands a bit more now that is wasn't a joke.
Oh god, what if someone had picked her up? What if she had fallen into that big hole and couldn't get out? What if she forgot how to get home and went the wrong way and got even further away? What if it had gotten dark and she was all alone in the dark? I just can't stop thinking about all the what ifs. I am just so thankful she is home and safe.
Now she just has to adjust to being grounded until she is like 18.

4 comments:

Fire Dad said...

Im sure you had a long talk with her. How far away was she??

dad

Mackenzie said...

How scary for you guys, I'm so glad she is okay.

The Huls Family said...

OMG..............

Vaiva said...

Glad to hear it ended well.